Saturday, February 23, 2008

Flatlands

So I was able to spend some time at home before heading out to Tampa. Going home is always about business. I had a few business meetings, visited with some friends (all great actors themselves), and had a nice time off. I almost never have enough time to do everything.

"Business meetings?" you say? I may have a few things to announce in the near future... stay tuned.

But Tampa, Florida: home of The Tampa Bay Lightning (Hockey team), beaches, and... for all intensive purposes, not much else thus far. Tamps is very flat, and very spread out. If you want to get anywhere, you really have to drive. Yes, you have to drive much further than in LA. I drove almost 40 minutes to get to a camera store that didn't even have the lens I wanted... yeah right, boo hoo.

If the ocean was warmer, I would spend more time at the beach, but the ocean is not warm this time of year. So far, all I have found have been bars, restaurants, and shopping.

Matt Bailey and I are living together in a fantastic condo a few miles from the theater, and have been frequenting Channelside, a little restaurant/bar area, with a bowling bar called Splitsville. We've been known to hang around there for a drink. Last week, we actually were able to get the whole cast out for a few games!

But Tampa is still new for us. I'm sure I'll have a few more things to say by the end, even after a visit to my friend in Orlando (who is currently in Blue Man Group), or trying out Ybor city.

I don't know. Got any ideas of what to do in Tampa?

I will not swim with manatees.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't done it yet, you should try to visit the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. It's way cool. It's also pretty close to the Tampa/St. Pete bridge and the waterfront, so it's not too much of a drive. Good luck with your projects.

Anonymous said...

South Tampa (SoHo) is better for nightlife rather than Ybor...that's what my 21 year old tells me. Visit Ybor during the day. And yes, Tampa is really, really spread out. Good restaurants and fun stuff at International Plaza by the airport. We have a really good zoo (Lowry Park) and if you have a chance, go The Hurricane at Passe A Grille in St. Pete and have a delicious grouper sandwhich and watch the sunset. Nothing like it!

Enjoy Tampa...there's plenty to do here.

Anonymous said...

Busch Gardens is great too! If you enjoy beer, try their Brewmasters event, where they teach you about pairing food with beer. Like wine. The park has great roller coasters (if your'e in to that. I am not).

I wouldn't swim with the manatees either, but they are quite beautiful to watch. Lowry Park Zoo has a great exhibit where you can sit and watch them for hours.

Clearwater and St. Pete are close and there's lots to do there. Ringling Museum in Sarasota is so worth the drive. There is a miniatures circus display that is the length of a football field, as well as the Ringling art collection (which blew my mind) and the mansion is quite spectacular...right on the bay.

Hey...I should be your tour guide! I've lived here for 30 years - almost home!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't want to swim with the manatees? : )

There's nothing like floating above an endandered species the size of a car, having it look at you, and being able to pet it. They're really cute up close. They're also very graceful underwater. You get to see them with their babies. The only drawback is you do have to get up really early in the morning to do it and the places to do it are a fair drive from Tampa. But I'd never say no to seeing an endangered species in the wild. We may not have manatees in a few years. So, even if Taylor doesn't go, for anyone reading this: swimming with manatees is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Attended last night's show and it took me back to my "Joisey" girl days in the early 60's - listening to The Four Seasons on a transistor radio. Now retired I live in sunny Sarasota. If the cast gets a day off and want s tour of our fabulous Ringling Museum and Asolo theater, we'd be happy to arrange it. The Asolo is host to the FSU Conservatory Theater program as well as a professional rep. company. Come on down! I can even point you to Jersey Mike's for a sub or for a real tomato pie (a Jersey pizza).
Loved the show!