Sunday, November 2, 2008

Maple Syrup and The Letter 'Eh'

Yes, it's been a long time coming for a new blog post, but that's because I've found someone. Someone who I can love, and who will love me back. She can be cold at times, but usually is full of life and fun.

Her name is, Toronto.

This place is fantastic. The streets are filled with people walking from place to place, the streets are clean, there is vibrance, commerce, and good food everywhere. Plus, the public transportation will take you anywhere (when it doesn't occasionally shut down). I think, if I wasn't in this business, I would consider trying to live in Toronto. It really is an incredible place.

But day to day, it's been such a treat. I feel like I have a bit of a life, and I'm not stuck in my hotel room because of lack of transportation. I'm even getting out and taking a few classes here and there.


I even got a Frankie performance!

Audiences in Toronto are very nice and polite.  Almost too polite at times: the first few rows sit down during the "bonus", and I just think "You're already standing up, don't worry, have fun!"

But, as usually, I will have to leave and move on to the next place. But, since there's a lot of things here in Toronto to discuss, I'll leave my points in a bulleted list:

  • Hockey.  I love it.  But the Toronto Maple Leafs are about as good as the LA Kings (both teams, not so good)
  • Tim Hortons.  It can be considered a nicer Dunkin Donuts, with sandwiches, cookies, biscuits, tea, coffee, and everything else.  It is a usual stop after dinner before a show.
  • Queen West.  For those who know Melrose Blvd in Los Angeles, it's a bit like that: a kitschy fashion / style shopping street.
  • Kensington Marketplace.  Once again, comparisons to LA: it's a bit like Venice Beach, without the beach.  Total hippie central.
  • Coffee Crisp.  A fantastic chocolate bar that we don't get in the states, but has the taste of coffee wafers.
  • A distinct Euro vibe.  It can be considered "America Lite" here, but there is a distinct European overtone.  Perhaps it's the vibrance in the streets.
  • Hanging out with other casts, like Spamalot, Dirty Dancing, and A Chorus Line.
  • "Triumph".  Steve Gouveia is a big fan of this Canadian band (and in turn, has made me a fan as well).  And they even came to the show!  Here's a video:
  • Kara (female swing) and Junior (crew) got married up here, and I got to photograph their wedding.  It was my first professional wedding gig!
  • Lots of escalators here seem to be broken.
Meanwhile, we've had some shakeups in the cast: Jamie Karen left, and to replace her, we have Jeremy's fantastically talented wife Jenny Lee Stern.  Zach Prince left, and to replace him, we have the energetic and solid Graham Fenton (who was a swing in Vegas).  And there's this new guy hanging around here named Ryan Strand... I wonder who he's here to replace...?

I hear there's an opening on Broadway for a swing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear (read) from you, Taylor. I've heard that Toronto is a wonderful city. Your post makes me want to visit someday. BTW, keep us posted on any new news in the near future ;).

June Yee said...

Um, are you the one getting bumped up to Broadway?

Because I don't know, that Ryan Strand guy does look like he could cover Frankie. ;D

Anonymous said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for a way long overdue update. I was wondering what wassup with you!

Anonymous said...

Keep us updated and tell everyone "hi" from the Dallas fans. Ty

Erin said...

Well you see, the broken escalators give people a chance to walk-off the tim-bits and double-doubles from Tim Hortons. It's all part of a bigger plan.

Glad you're having a good time in my city. Be happy there's no slush and wind-chill! Caught your show a few weeks back with friends and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Hope you guys can get to see some of the other theatre/music offerings while you're here. Best!

Doggy said...

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the city. I thoroughly enjoyed your show.
Some other places to try in the time left.
The Danforth (great eating)
Yorkville (Fifth ave. Rodeo Drive)
The Beaches (Queen St East)
Little India, China Town (east & west) etc. etc. etc.
I think the broken escalators are merely stopped by the youth of T.O. who enjoy watching their elders through up their hands in frustration!
"This is your time" enjoy.

Anonymous said...

consider your love requited. we're so happy to have you guys with us. glad to hear you're enjoying the city!

Anonymous said...

surbeCongratulations on making it to the Great White Way! I hope it's even better than the Great White North.