Friday, December 21, 2007

I Rocked So Hard I Made My Fingers Bleed

For those of you who don't know, Seattle is the birthplace of Grunge music: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. It singlehandedly ushered out the era of Hair Metal, and introduced the world to a Seattle state of mind. Also, it caused kids across America to start dressing like they lived in Seattle: The Grunge Fashion Style. Thank goodness THAT'S over.

But I'll just come out and say it: I'm a rock nerd. Which, believe me, is somewhat of an oxymoron. But I love rock music: the culture, the performance, the attitude. So when I remembered that The Seattle Experience Music Project was up here, I was very excited.

EMP, as it's called, is right next to the space needle:



The building itself was designed by Frank Gehry, who also designed the Disney Music Hall in Los Angeles (which was right next to where JB played in LA at the Ahmanson). The EMP building is truly a sight to see. Certainly not an eyesore, but enough to make you go "hrm".

As we walked in, being the music nerds that we were, went immediately went to the top floor, where all the Jam Rooms were. These soundproof rooms are filled with electric guitars, keyboards, electric and acoustic drums, amps, and pedals to fulfill your music dreams. Yes, I know a Guitar Center is just about the same thing, but rockin' out with your friends in a soundproof room is a great time. Sadly, none of the rooms had guitar PICKS so I had to play with my fingers. And I was rocking so hard, that I accidentally nicked one of my knuckles against the worn guitar and split it open. Sigh.

After mending my wound, we went to the "live performance" experience, which, IMHO was pretty lame. You go into a room, and can lip sync (or play, as they say, but our REAL playing was at a lower volume than the track) one of three songs. We chose "I Love Rock And Roll". After playing that song in that dumb room, I don't think I Love Rock And Roll anymore. Never-the-less, we named our group "Monday Off", played around in the silly room, and exited, where they then pump you to buy pictures and videos of your performance. I think the embarrassment was so ripe that buying something would only catalyze the uncomfortable experience.

But someone did buy a picture. Sadly, I don't have a digital copy.

After that, it was off to the actual museum, which was really cool. There was an exhibit about the birth of Hip-Hop, a room which showed the history of the guitar with real world examples (with some really crazy guitars that would make Cheap Trick jealous), and a history of Seattle Music, including a large section dedicated to the Grunge era. I didn't know Heart was from Seattle!

Our day at EMP came to an end, as we watched Jimi Hendrix play The Star Spangled Banner on a big screen, and taking a picture in front of this tree of music instruments:



All in all, it was a great day, and afterwards, we all headed back to our hotel rooms, humming "Evenflow" all the way home.

Meanwhile, back at work, we, once again, took first place in the BC/EFA Gypsy Of The Year collection period with a total of $327,404! Hooray! Congrats to our Chicago Company with a second place total of $293,673!

And with our successive win in hand, we have crossed the #400 performance mark! It's been a great run, and you know how it felt? Just like #399. But we couldn't have made it without you guys: the fans. Booya to us all. Stay tuned for #406 ;-)

...

And Miles and I bought the same Jacket:

19 comments:

June Yee said...

Lol, nice.

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed! You are on the best tour and you get to sight see at the coolest places together.
Brandon Matthieus is FINE!

Angel

Anonymous said...

Lemme guess, the pictures cost $20, and they're Polaroids? Riiiip offf! That does look like a fun tourist trap, though.

Anonymous said...

You and Miles look pretty, um, bad ass. ;)

Anonymous said...

Keep on postin'! Loved hearing about your visit on the Seattle music scene. Great place for you all to tell the story of the four guys from New Jersey.

teehee said...

That picture of you and Miles makes me want to sing about your first cigarette to your last dying day. ;)

Anonymous said...

Very funny. Thanks for the updates. It's great to hear your stories!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun at EMP, I love it there too. I'll be seeing Jersey Boys on the 29th :) Keep up the good work!

stubbleyou said...

"I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"

(of interest to rock nerds)

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow, Taylor. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I think you will be a knockout as FV. You have a ton of stage presence and really sparkle up there.

Jeannette said...

What a great picture of you, Erich, Nate, Brandon and perhaps the new guy on the block so to speak as I don't recognize him in front of the guitars plus the lady I don't recognize either. I love the picture of you and Miles in the same jackets. Sounds like you guys had fun just fooling around with the instruments! I guess reminds you of the show about going into a studio on Sunday where instruments are left over from Friday recordings, etc. You guys ROCK and congrats. on taking first place in the fund raising! SWEET!

Anonymous said...

Hi Taylor. Is that the "I Love Rock and Roll" from when I was in college thirty odd years ago, by Gary Glitter? Wow. Good luck as Frankie...I've heard some great things.

Anonymous said...

What is the story on Brandon Matthieus? Does he have a blog/website about himself and is he single?

Taylor said...

@Howard:
"I Love Rock and Roll" Is by Joan Jett and The Blackhearts.

Gary Glitter wrote "Rock and Roll", the most famous being "Rock and Roll part 2".

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found this blog as an addition to my J.B. addiction! I heard you did a nice job last night. Good for you! That's great! But Taylor, I'm really confused about the Zachary Prince stuff. Through the grapevine, I heard that Zachary Prince is in N.Y. and will be back on the tour in six weeks! This way you cousins get to be together again! That should make you happy. :)

Theatergal

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird that if it's true that Zachary and Taylor are cousins, then if you put their first names together, you get the name of a US President (Zachary Taylor)? Coincidence? I hope not (but guessing it is).

Anonymous said...

Yea, wasn't he impeached? haha Well I guess that these are just two talented cousins in J.B.

stubbleyou said...

...and don't forget with Jamie Karen and Courter Simmons in the same company, you put their first names together and get another president -- Jamie Courter (ha ha ha - Jimmy Carter, get it? Ok, I'll shut up now).

Kim said...

The not-so-secret to getting a free, digital copy of those overpriced pictures: Take a picture of the viewing screen. My raft-mates and I did this after rafting down the Jordan River this summer...we had to be all sneaky and pretend like we were taking a picture of each other (the viewing station was cleverly placed behind the cash register counter), but it worked. I am totally using this trick at Disneyland.