Monday, December 24, 2007

It's Just Too Good To Be True

Well, #406 came and went. Last night was a culmination of a lot of different feelings, emotions, but ultimately went incredibly well.

I am sorry about this post: It's hard for me to describe my emotions in words. It was such an incredible night.

I got to the theater early to run some light cues, and do some slapping around with Deven. As soon as he started slapping me around (Being a little brother, and him getting a new lead singer), I knew it was on. After that, it was up to the dressing room.

But not any dressing room. This night, I got THE dressing room.

A quick shower, a shave, some hair gel, and a few costume pieces later, I was Frankie.

Looking in the mirror was surreal. Who was this person? I had never had this on before. For real. Tonight, I was playing for keeps.

As I stepped out of The Dressing Room, I entered into the Men's dressing room, where the Male Ensemble were getting ready, and was greeted with cheers, hugs, pictures, etc. Everyone was very proud of me, and for those of you guys who are reading this, your encouragement and support has meant the world to me. Thank you.

After that, it was back to the room to have some water, a little tea, some saline spray, and off to the races.

I remember the moment, before walking out on the bridge. My heart skipped a beat. It was like skydiving. As soon as I walked out from behind the black and into the light, I had jumped out of the plane. No turning back now!

And then, warmth. I was met with such love and power on stage. Everyone sharing looks, smiling, and being there for me.

I won't go through the gauntlet of the show, but I'll mention these points:

  • Acting on stage with Deven, Erich, Steve, Joe, John, and the rest is a dream. They all play, listen, respond so well. It's incredible to be up there communicating with them.
  • I think your first time is always like slow motion. Sometimes, it felt like "The Matrix".
  • The Big 3 was incredible. Just amazing, and a lot of fun. The looks we shared on stage were priceless.
  • "Dawn" is one of my favorite songs in the show to perform, and the part where we were facing downstage was really cool.
  • "Beggin" IS my favorite song of the show, and doing the splits, the turns, and the vocals... just great.
  • The sitdown scene worked very well. It's a different experience when you have lights, and sound, and audience. In rehearsals, you try to act well. But when all the extra parts enter into the equation, they seem to go away, and the only people in that room are at that table, arguing about the future of the group. Incredible.
  • Winter was a blast to do. The show is written so well, and to get to speak like that, to the audience, is really cool.
  • What can I say? "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" went off without a hitch! I was singing great, and gave it my all. As I turned upstage in "Workin'..." I had the biggest smile. The guys in the band behind saw it. I gave them a wink, and kept on singing. My voice wasn't tired yet!
  • "Who Loves You" was great, especially at the end, where we all look at each other. It was as if they were congratulating me before it was over. I was so happy.
So, all in all, it was a great night. So much work for so much return. I am so glad I got to do it, and you know what, I liked it so much, I think I'll do it again! On the 26th of December at 2pm.

Anyway, this post was so disjointed, so whatever. All I know is that I was Frankie Valli last night, and it was a moment I'll never forget.

Meanwhile, Miles, Erik Bates and I had a push-up competition. The pressure was too much for Bates:

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog since you took over the gig from my son in law(Eric)... it was GREAT that you got to go on as THR lead.... congratulations.. and keep up the good work...

Sandy Topper
AKA Eric's father in law

Anonymous said...

Taylor, YOU ROCK!

CONGRATULATIONS AND CONTINUED SUCCESS!

Thank you for being such as great writer. I can feel all the on stage and backstage excitement. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd do it. I'll bet the audience loved it, too. Here's to more times to play Frankie. I wish I coulda seen it.

June Yee said...

YAAY. =)


Again, only wish that a bunch of us could have seen it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that update Taylor, it was great to read about your experience as Frankie.

To echo what June said, wish we could have seen that!

teehee said...

Taylor, you are awesome! There was a virtual cheering section for you even if we couldn't all be there to see it. Yay! Keep up the great work and great blogs.

P.S. I love FAIL pictures. Maybe some FTW and DOING IT WRONG ones too, sometime? ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Taylor! I only wish I could have been there to see it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a job very well done! Break a leg on Dec. 26--two days from now. Your latest entry was just great, you took us all through the whole process. Like many on this board, I too wish I could have seen you perform as THE MAN himself. I hope Frankie Valli gets to see YOU portray him, I do not think he will be disappointed.

I hope Dance Captain Bates does not mind your posting that photo of him. . .I think of the notes he might give you.

Anonymous said...

Taylor, congratulations on your performance! Best of luck to you. Thanks for blogging and sharing your experiences with us. It's been fun to read.

Jeannette said...

Merry Christmas Taylor! Wow! What a neat present that you got this year! Sounds like your first time on as Frankie went swimmingly! I wish I could've been there in person as I would've been going "wild" for you knowing that it was first time in the role! Now if I could only ditch work tomorrow, fly out early, get a ticket for the matinee show to see you go on again as Frankie. I guess I'll have to be there in spirit again! Have fun tomorrow with doing the role again! The lucky audience members that get to see you do the role tomorrow's matinee. I'm jealous of them! :) Break a leg!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great night! Thanks for sharing the experience w/us and may your show go well tomorrow too! Merry Christmas to you and everyone involved in the show!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Taylor! Thanks to your post, I felt like I was there for your big performance. And it seems to have gone very well. I hope I can see it in person one day.

Anonymous said...

Taylor......I got to see your performance and you were awesome. I know how much it meant to you to finally be able to do "Frankie" This is your beginning and I can't wait to see where this takes you. Your a star and we'll be watching.

Anonymous said...

very cool, taylor!! congrats. a bunch of us who could not see you in person were with you in spirit. ohhh, to see your frankie!! welcome to the pantheon of great frankies...

Anonymous said...

Congrats tayl. so sorry i couldn't b there on that special night but i know u did great! i hope to come up soon and see you play frankie. i still can't believe my brother played the lead role in jersey boys. it's unreal. it must be amazing 4 u if it's like this 4 me... keep rockin and hope to c u soon! luv ya. -dill
p.s, try to talk mom into letting me come up... i really want to c it, and merry christmas