Sunday, December 30, 2007

Quickie: Santa Klau

Not a lot to report right now. Except I went on for a second time as Frankie this past week, which was phenomenal, and went great. It's now colder than ever here in Seattle, and my winter jacket is getting plenty of mileage.

Had my family in town this past week, so it's been just me and them. Not a lot of events to report, except this:

Our stage management hosted a door decorating contest for the holidays. I had not decided to do a door decoration until the last day, which was TODAY. Lori, our stage manager, convinced me to take charge, so I did. I went into the dressing room, and said "Well, I better get started. Anyone have any paper?"

Courter Simmons replied "No, but you can rip out these easy Sudoku puzzles". So I did. My first idea was just to put them on the door, so people can come by and do them.

And then I got a crazy idea:



The story was this: I had a huge grid in front of me. So I thought, hey, I could color in a few of the blocks, and make a pixelated picture. I asked everyone in our dressing room, and everyone agreed: the picture should be Nate. I got to work, found a picture, ran it through a threshold process (which turns the picture to just 2 colors), and copied what was on my screen to the large Sudoku grid I created. Big thanks to Erik and Chris for working with me on the piece. We won 3rd place (behind Lori's jellybean JB outline - 2nd, and John and Eric's Las Vegas themed door - 1st place).

Arts and crafts. Hooray.

Meanwhile, it was John Altieri's last show tonight. John, we love you, and we will miss you. Good luck to you in the future.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Taylor, you got some mad art skills.

And Erich and John won with a Vegas theme door. I wonder what that means. Although, that's rumor/news has been floating around for a while, and some people in the current SF cast spilled the beans weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Clever! A Sudoku-inspired portrait of the one and only Nate Klau, he must have been flattered! Congrats! Santa Klau! Happy 2008 Tay!

Anonymous said...

Awesome door... you've got some great artistic talents going!

June Yee said...

LOL. Nice.

Anonymous said...

You are quite the Renaissance man. I never know what you're going to write about next, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Thank U for keeping your blogs frequent (better then Eric)...and congratulations on your portrait. Very creative and well done.

Jeannette said...

Happy New Year Sherry company!! What a cool picture! I love it and very creative too especially doing it last minute.
Thanks for writing on your blog even if nothing exciting seemed to take place during the week. We appreciate any bones you throw our way so to speak!
May 2008 bring everyone good things especially those who decide to get off of the merry go round to either pursue other interests or join other JB casts!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sherry Cast!!! Thanks for continuing a blog after Eric left. Nice door. Could you possibly put up the pictures of the other two winners? Good luck in the New Year!

-Amanda

Anonymous said...

That's pretty neat. Well done!

stubbleyou said...

You're just too good at sudoku
Can't miss that K-L-A-U-oo...

teehee said...

I think I would cry if I got to to work and someone had put a pixelated me on the door. But good for you and good for me not being Nate. ;)

With Jersey Boys officially gone from San Francisco now, it's REALLY good to know we can still keep up with Sherry tour hijinks! Now if only people from the other two companies could follow your lead and Eric Gutman's lead. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Would have loved to seen all of you working away at your doors. Very creative!

Anonymous said...

WOW, Taylor! Anything you can't do?? Happy Nu Year!!!

Anonymous said...

hey Taylor... love the blog! just wondering, who's taking over for Erich as Bob?

teehee said...

Hey, Taylor, something weird has happened to your tumblog! It's posting a bunch of random flickr pictures. There were like 50 posted tonight. Just FYI. Unless you were supposed to do that. But it all seems rather odd. :-)

Kim said...

I don't know how I didn't know about this blog from the get-go, but I am now subscribed. Santa Klau. Brill.

June Yee said...

Hey,

Just checked your twitter and saw that you're going on as Frankie again tonight, and also on Friday!

So I just wanted to tell you to break a leg once again! I know I've said this several times, I wish you got that many chances when you guys were in SF, or even Sac for that matter...=) Just so a bunch of us regulars could've seen you! ;D